About training at our dojo
Our dojo is located at the YMCA Springfield Lakes Community Centre, which is at 53 Springfield Lakes Boulevard, Springfield Lakes, 4300. This is also the Springfield State School sports hall. Please go downstairs underneath the hall, to where the YMCA is located.
We train on Tuesday and Friday evenings and most Saturday mornings. Children's classes are from 5:30pm Tuesdays and Fridays, and from 10am Saturdays. Adults train from 7pm Tuesdays and Fridays and 8:30am Saturdays. Our full timetable is listed here.
We try to keep prices down to allow as many students to train as possible, and offer a range of fee options and payment plans for day-to-day training. Generally speaking, adults train for $75 per month (with several discounts available) and children train for $110 per school term (with discounts also available). Mat fees can also be paid annually. For a cost-effective start to your training, we also have beginner packages for adults that are popular with new students. Also remember that your first class is free!
Annual registration fees are also payable, as are grading fees.
We also provide uniforms and training weapons.
You can contact us here about starting up, we will answer any additional questions you have that aren't already covered by the website. After that, just turn up at a scheduled class and we will look after you.
Good etiquette is not always required, but it is always welcome. Below you will find some basic guidelines for good etiquette in an Aikido class.
- When entering or leaving the dojo,
- When entering or leaving the mat area,
- At the opening and closing of class,
- When we pair up for practice,
- When we finish training together,
- When we thank each other after class,
- When we thank our instructor for helping us,
and any time someone else bows to us!
- Watch your instructor and listen carefully to his or her instructions.
- Work with your partners, not against them.
- Inform your instructor and your practice partners of any soreness, strain, injury, or illness you may have so that they can take appropriate precautions.
- Use common sense. If you have a sore back, sit out techniques or exercises that may aggravate it.
- Respect everyone's abilities, both your own and your partner's. Know and repect your limitations and your partner's.
- Wash your gi (uniform) after every practice.
- Shower or bathe before practice.
- Make sure your hands and feet are clean before practice.
- Use deodorant, toothpaste and mouthwash as needed.
- Keep your fingernails and toenails trimmed and filed.
Blood is an area of special concern with regard to hygiene. If you find that you or anyone else is bleeding, even a very small amount, please cease practicing immediately and inform the instructor, so that he or she can get it cleaned up and get appropriate medical attention.
We have a well qualified group of instructors to help you learn. All are blue card certified, and supervised by senior instructors at all times.
Our dojo leader and head instructor is Myriam Raymond (3rd Dan). Our assistant instructors are Chris Dunbar (Shodan) and Jade Manley (Shodan). We have a group of dedicated adult students across all ranks who help out with our children's classes. We also encourage children to help out with younger kid's classes. This gives them extra training and helps to grow their confidence by trying on leadership roles in the dojo.
We follow the Japan Kokikai grading system for our adult students, with white, brown and black belt levels. Children progress through a series of coloured belts until they reach their black belt rank.
Gradings are held approximately every six months. Your dojo leader will decide when you are eligible to grade, based on mat hours, time since your last grading, your abilities in technique, and your attitude and personal growth.